The Library was established in 1822 at a meeting of the Board of Trustees. Since its beginnings the Library has been considered one of the premier collections of pharmaceutical sciences in the country. In 1973, the Library moved into its present quarters, the free-standing Joseph W. England Library.
Small but specialized, the collection is particularly strong in pharmacy, pharmacognosy, pharmaceutics, and foreign drug compendia. Other areas of specialization include toxicology, pharmacology, occupational therapy and physical therapy. Our online catalog, cataLyst, can be accessed from the Library's home page or from the Quick Links sidebar appearing on most pages. Also found under Quick Links is Our Journal List/e-Book List, which includes a complete listing of our online and print serials subscriptions plus our e-books. Also in Quick Links is an index of our online databases, Databases A-Z.
The Leopold Helfand Rare Book Room and Archives is composed of two collections. Among the Rare Books are many early pharmacopoeias and pharmacy-related texts as well as a collection of seventeenth and eighteenth century botanicals, including a book once owned by Isaac Newton. The Archives are of interest to anyone researching the origins of the pharmaceutical industry as the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and its graduates were fundamental to the building of the pharmaceutical industry in the United States. Access to the Rare Book Room and Archives is by appointment only.
last updated: 1/10/2014